NV Statewide Large-scale Digitization Workshop
May 10, 2019
8:00 a.m — 4:00 p.m.
Goldfield Room on the 3rd floor of Lied Library
on the University of Nevada, Las Vegas campus.
Please join UNLV University Libraries and cultural heritage colleagues from across Nevada for a day of small group learning and nuts and bolts information-sharing including sessions on preparing to digitize, equipment specifications for capturing digital images, creating metadata, and finding funding for projects. This workshop is geared toward organizations who have collections in mind to digitize, but need a crash course to develop a project plan. All attendees will leave the workshop with concrete plans customized for their organization. Some of the topics to be covered:
- Prepare a collection for digitization using a planning document that will walk participants through the key questions and decision points to execute a successful project
- Check out different scanning and digital capture equipment and consult in small groups to decide on appropriate equipment for grant applications or specialized formats
- Attend a demo and hands-on session to see how images can be captured in a large-scale digitization project and gain tips for making any digitization project more efficient
- Dig into metadata creation for your collection and map your project needs to one of several case studies including: (existing archival finding aids, unstructured collection inventories, and what to do if no metadata exists at all)
- Hear lessons learned from the 2018 LSTA-funded Building the Pipelines digitization grant project
- Attend a presentation where a range of options for digital asset management and online delivery will be presented with time reserved for discussion and questions about the systems and digital preservation practices
- Brainstorm with small groups on where to find resources, how to write successful grants, and identify potential collaborative partners
Travel funding grants are available to Nevada residents upon request.
Morning pastries/coffee and catered lunch will be included for all attendees.
Funds for this project have been provided by the Institute of Museum and Library Services
through the Library Services and Technology Act, administered by the Nevada State Library, Archives, and Public Records.
If you have any special accommodation needs, please contact Lonnie Marshall in University
Libraries Administration in advance at 702-895-4517 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact: Cory Lampert (702) 895-2209 or
- Friday, May 10, 2019
- 8:00am - 4:00pm
- Lied Library - Goldfield Room - 3rd floor